Wednesday, November 30, 2016

11 Down - 5 To Go

My friend Deb and me at 11th treatment
November 29, 2016
  Thanks to everyone who reminds me that I have not posted in awhile. :)
  The week before Thanksgiving I was battling a sinus infection and doing everything possible to avoid going to the hospital - the last place you want to be when your immune system in compromised. Fortunately, the antibiotics worked perfectly and I am feeling much better. My white blood cell count was 15 today. (The high normal is 10.)
  Let me mention briefly how wonderful Thanksgiving was. Erin and Seth joined Mark, Morgan, and me for a wonderful homemade Thanksgiving dinner at our home. The family said it was delicious, but I only tasted cardboard. I had cardboard tasting turkey, stuffing, and mashed potatoes covered in cardboard gravy. Followed later by Mark's famous homemade cardboard pumpkin pie. I will only say that when things taste like cardboard you don't go back for seconds. :) The beauty is that by Sunday, my taste returned and I had a wonderful meal of leftovers and they were indeed delicious, especially with a fine dose of gratitude for the ability to taste. I think I have always taken that sense for granted.
  Now to my 11th treatment-- my friend Deb brought me to chemo today. There was a backup of patients so we waited 4 hours before they started my 2 hour treatment. The nurses were amazingly patient with all of us patients. (See what I did there? haha) I really appreciated Deb's companionship in that she was the caregiver for her roommate and my dear friend, Emma, for several years until Emma went to live with God after a valiant battle with cancer. We both miss Emma, but I am astounded by Deb's resilience and faith and her Christlike ability to reach out to me with love and service. She is truly one who has walked the difficult road of caregiver and yet stays on that road and helps the next person along the path. Deb, you are in inspirational example to me and I know that God is preparing a beautiful mansion for you in heaven. Thanks for being my friend!
  I would also like to point out the beautiful scarf I am wearing. It was handmade by a former BYU roommate of mine, Marsha. She lives in Tennessee and we have one of those magical friendships that no matter how long it has been since we have talked or seen each other, we can pick right up where we left off and never miss a beat. Neither of us gets offended if we have not talked in awhile and I appreciate that because I am a terrible correspondent. Anyway, Marsha sends me a package every week with the most thoughtful gifts. They are simple, but thoughtful. I appreciate knowing that she loves me, prays for me, and is thinking of me. After she saw my wig, she chose this beautiful, soft yard to make me a scarf to go along with my wig. Beautiful choice, don't you think? It is especially warm on my neck now that I don't have my big blanket of natural hair to cover to my neck. I never knew how much your hair keeps in your body heat. Hats off, or should I say, hats on, to every man or woman who is bald. Winter's here and it is cold. BRRRR!
  Deepest gratitude to all of you who love me and pray for me. May God bless you in your own personal trials. We are all in this together. Keep up the good fight. Nowotwor!! - Elizabeth

No comments:

Post a Comment