Monday, August 8, 2016

Why is Great Clips great?

  I woke up Saturday, August 6, with lose hair on my pillow. This was a bit disconcerting to say the least. I knew it was coming, but there is something surreal about when it actually does.
   I have several friends and neighbors who cut hair and have offered to shave my head, but I decided to go to someone to whom I am not emotionally attached. I called Great Clips to see if they take "walk-ins" and found out that is all they take. :) Remember that I grow my hair for Locks of Love and don't use hair cutting services very often. When I called, I spoke to a stylist, Mykael, who patiently listened as I sobbed through my explanation of needing my head shaved. She told me to take my time and come when I felt comfortable.
  So, I had a gut-wrenching cry, looked myself in the eyes and said "Be Strong! You can do this!" and prayed for Heavenly Father to not leave me during this difficult step. Then I pulled myself up by the bootstraps and drove to Great Clips. (My family was all at work or I'm sure they would have gone with me.)
Deep Breath -- Open the Door

     So, in I went and put my name on the waiting list. I didn't realize that you could sign-in online and save some time. So, I was number 13 on the list. That happens to be my "lucky" number. Haha! I sat by a man and soon struck up a conversation. You know me--I've never met a stranger. We had a fascinating conversation. It was not coincidence that I met a man who works in cancer/blood research. What a blessing!
  Anyway, Mykael finally called me back and we decided on a 1/2 inch guard for the clippers. She started at the back which allowed me to get used to the falling hair. As she got close to the end, I asked her to pause so I could take a picture . . .


Trying to be a Brave Little Toaster
and then, I cried. You can tell in the picture that I am trying to be brave. Mykael gave me the time I needed and tried not to cry with me. Then we continued. 



It's okay. It's only hair. It will grow back.
   So, why is Great Clips great?
     1. Because of Mykael who was sympathetic, kind, and professional, and
     2. Because they do not charge a dime to shave heads of cancer patients. That is noble and right.


Thank you, Mykael! You are my angel.

Still at war (and winning!) -- Elizabeth

2 comments:

  1. You are so brave! This brought tears to my eyes. I am scheduling a mammogram this week! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is incredible! elizabeth!! look at your smile. YOU AMAZE ME!

    ReplyDelete