Tuesday, July 19, 2016

"How's Your Heart?"

Have you every wondered if you have a good heart? Well, there is a test for that.
On Friday, July 15, 2016, I had an echocardiogram. This is standard for the type of chemo that I will be receiving which can damage my heart. So this test tells them a couple of things: if my heart is strong enough to receive chemotherapy and it also gives them a baseline to go from in the future if I start having heart problems.
My oncologist told me today that everything looks great and he agreed that I can tell my mom "I have a good heart!" Haha!
In actuality it takes a lot more than an echocardiogram to determine if you have a good heart. One very telling test is how we treat other people. My grandmother always said that you can tell a person's character by how they treat children and animals. My grandmother had a wonderful character and a good heart. I'm still working on mine.
I was really nervous to have the "echo" because the placement of my port-a-catheter is right where the technician needs to press in order to get good ultrasound images. I am so grateful to Brad (the tech) who did my echocardiogram with such skill avoiding the port and my incisions. My hat's off to every person who has chosen to work in the medical field. You all have good hearts!!  -- Elizabeth

2 comments:

  1. Geez Elizabeth, any one of your friends could've told you that you have the very best heart. I love reading your blog-- I check for a new post every day! Your positivity has always been and will always be inspiring. I love you dearly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Kelsey--you truly have one of the very best hearts...your heart touches and teaches so many, including me, thank you! You are loved!

    ReplyDelete