Sunday, December 18, 2016

My Visit with Santa

Saturday, December 17, 2016

I wish I had a picture of my encounter with Santa, but unfortunately it wasn't caught on camera.

Anyway, I walked into Smith's grocery store and was offered a cookie and juice. I can't really eat sugar right now, so I graciously declined. Then Santa's helper said, "Santa's over there." All of a sudden, I was a 6-year-old child again and the magic of Santa rushed over me. Luckily, there were no other children that I had to plow over to get to the jolly guy.

I stood there in front of him, looking into his kind and gentle eyes. With my hand on his arm, I simply said, "Thank you! Thank you for the early Christmas gift." Without a word, he quizzically looked at me and I replied "My doctor told me this week that my cancer is in remission. Thank you!"

He never said a word, and I couldn't see a smile behind his beard, but as I turned around to leave, I saw a tear glisten in his eye. Merry Christmas, Santa!

Now, I know that Santa didn't give me the gift of remission but it was a sweet little exchange today. I hope it made him happy.

I am very aware that this amazing gift of remission is from my Heavenly Father and Savior Jesus Christ. I owe all blessings to Them. It is only through Them that I have been able to endure this trial. The power of the Atonement of Jesus Christ has taken on a whole new meaning for me as I have learned how it applies not only to sin, but to our "pains and afflictions" (Alma 7:11). I am eternally grateful.

I still have to finish three more chemo treatments and 5-10 years of hormone therapy, but at this moment I have received the best Christmas present ever. Thank you for being on this journey with me. We are winning the fight!-- Elizabeth

3 comments:

  1. That's the best news I've heard all month! YAY Elizabeth. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's amazing!! Love you so much!! Merry Christmas!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. ALL Glory to God! I am so grateful to read that your cancer is in remission, my dear sister! Tears are streaming down my face as I read this sweet exchange with Santa this day for you. Our loving Heavenly Father is SO kind and good to all His children. Some are healed and others get to spend Christmas in His presence. I am grateful you are healed for the time being -- you stalwart warrior! Thank you for your beautiful example of fighting the good fight! --Malena

    ReplyDelete