Monday, June 13, 2016

Bill's Famous CT Lemonade

On Friday, June 10, 2016, I met Bill.

Bill is a highly trained technician who conducted my PET/CT scan. He first put a radioactive solution in my IV and quickly left the room because being near me also exposes him to radiation. All of a sudden, I had a whole new appreciation for the men and women who put their lives in harm's way to do this work. Obviously they take precautions, but still they are exposed and I am grateful.

While I left the room to go to the restroom, Bill delivered 2 cups of "lemonade" for me to drink. It contained a liquid CT contrast. Bill had kindly added lemonade mix to the solution to make it more palatable. He told me that most people don't like it, but encouraged me to do my best to drink it all and that he would give me another cup in about an hour, right before the scan.

I lifted the cup to my lips prepared to taste the nastiest stuff ever, but was immediately surprised by the delicious taste. I downed the two cups much faster than he expected. I was happy to drink the last cup an hour later.

Bill, thanks to you and every other person who works in the medical field who are kind, compassionate, and sympathetic to people like me who are facing overwhelming challenges. And if you ever open a sidewalk lemonade stand. I want to be your first customer. I would actually pay for that lemonade. Oh, actually, I guess I did pay for it. Wait a minute -- that lemonade was REALLY expensive!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment