Thursday, June 9, 2016

Nowotvór means cancer in Polish.



Thursday, June 9, 2016
While on a short walk this week, I ran into a dear neighbor who hugged me without saying a word. But the hug said everything, "I just heard you have cancer." One thing I have in common with her is that we both speak French. I asked her if she knew the word for cancer in French. Neither one of us was sure. Perhaps this terrible disease would set a little better if it had a beautiful name pronounced with a delicate French accent.

Well, it turns out that the French word is Cancer. The Spanish word is Cáncer.  Even the Swedish word is Cancer; Italian-Cancro; Dutch-Kanker; and Cebuano-Kanser.

I then set out on a quest to find a translation that would make me feel better about my diagnosis. And where should I find it? In the Polish language. The Polish word for cancer is NOWOTWÓR. 

At first glance, I was breaking the syllables down this way: no - wo- twór. Then it occurred to me to try it like: now - ot - wór. Then it clicked -- NOW AT WAR!!!! I am now at war against the "emporer of all maladies" - cancer.

In the wee hours of the morning when I cannot sleep and my brain starts to go to scary places, I just remember that I am "now at war." Today when I was in the MRI tunnel, for what seemed like eternity, I had to remember that I am at war against cancer. I have to fight! I am a warrior!! --Elizabeth

7 comments:

  1. I love your post, and your attitude. You are an inspiration. My prayers are yours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this post and love you. Praying for you every day!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Elizabeth, I am praying for you! You are a noble warrior indeed, and you are in all of our hearts as you battle bravely. We love you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My Hoosier warrior friend - carry on!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful way to express the feelings of the fight! You got this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful way to express the feelings of the fight! You got this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this blog, Elizabeth, and I love the way you write. I already knew you were a gifted storyteller, and this also extends to the writing realm as well. Hugs, my dear neighbor! We will be with you on this journey and please don't be afraid to ask for help from us. Love you <3

    ReplyDelete